Love is in the air in Bristol ❤️

Love Is In The Air In Bristol - Scamps & Champs

With Valentines Day quickly approaching Scamps and Champs Bristol would like to take this opportunity to provide some information around the safety of some indoor flowers. This is just a snapshot of a 5 flowers that are known to be either safe or toxic to pets. Please contact your vet for advice or treatment immediately if you think your pet is unwell and showing a reaction to a plant or flower. Your pet may also have a sensitivity or an allergy to a plant so it’s important to always be vigilant and seek expert health if you are ever worried about the health of your pet.

Five flowers that are dangerous for our pets ?

Daffodil: All parts of the daffodil are harmful and even drinking the water from a vase of cut daffodils is potentially hazardous. A small bite from a daffodil bulb can kill a small animal

Iris and gladioli: The bulb is the most dangerous as it contains a higher concentration of chemicals but all parts of these are toxic

Tulip: All parts of the plant can be toxic in large quantities, but the bulb is the most toxic

Lily of the valley: Lily of the valley flowers and leaves are very poisonous to dogs and cats as they contain a toxin that can cause vomiting, diarrhoea, heart problems, fits and collapsing

Lilies: Including Tiger, Easter, Stargazer and Arum, are potentially poisonous, especially to cats. Eating or chewing the leaves, stems or flower heads can poison pets. Even the pollen can be harmful, as cats may lick this off their fur after brushing against the flower head. If you have a cat you will need to ensure any lilies are kept in a place in the house that your cat cannot access. Not always that easy!

Five flowers that are safe for our pets ?

We are ok ladies, these are a few of our favourites that are not harmful to pets ?

Roses: mean love, desire and romance and ALL varieties are pet friendly!

Peruvian Lily: mean devotion and friendship and are the perfect substitution for toxic lilies

Phalaenopsis Orchids: mean love and beauty and are safe for pets

Snapdragons: mean gracious lady and are non-toxic and a safe optionSunflowers: mean admiration and loyalty and pose no harm to cats

Why Is Chocolate Harmful To Dogs?

Why is chocolate harmful to dogs

Chocolate is the product of dried and fermented  seeds of the Cacao tree (Theobroma Cacao) and the active ingredient in chocolate is Theobromine.

Chocolate and cocoa products including the mulch made from the seed shells and used in gardening are poisonous to dogs even causing death if the amount ingested is large enough, though it also depends on the type of chocolate and the amount the dog has actually ingested and also the size of the dog compared to the amount that it has eaten.

The key toxic component chemical in the chocolate that harms the dog is called theobromine,  which is only produced in chocolate . Humans can metabolise theobromine quickly as the half life of the chemical is only 2-3 hours for humans who then excrete it from the body, but for dogs it is a much slower process with the half life of the chemical taking up to 18hours  which can cause a build up in the liver as it metabolises prior to excretion in the urine.Theobromine is known to affect the central nervous system, the cardiovascular system and the respiratory system.

Dark chocolate and cocoa products contain the most theobromine whereas milk or white chocolate contain the least. Bitter dark chocolate used for cooking also contains very high levels and even a vey small amount can be enough to poison even a very large dog, though the lethal dose is roughly between 250mg and 500mg per kilo of the dogs body weight.

However, a dog that eats just a small amount of milk chocolate may still be affected and may develop an upset stomach with diarrhoea and vomiting,  it is always wise to seek medical advice however small the amount and however big the dog.

A dog that eats a whole box of chocolates or a large amount of very dark chocolate will require emergency treatment as they may suffer dangerous effects that lead to death.

The onset of the poisoning may be preceded by severe hyperactivity, muscle tremors and an irregular heartbeat, panting and increased thirst, during this time the dog may develop internal bleeding, increased heart rate and finally a heart attack.  The signs of chocolate poisoning may not show until 2-24 hours after ingestion and even for a small amount of chocolate ingestion you will need to watch the dog for at least 72hours afterwards.

If you know that your dog has eaten chocolate then you should try to induce the dog to vomit as well as getting advice from the vet.  If the dog’s life is in danger then the vet may put the dog on intravenous fluids to flush the stomach contents and may also give charcoal based medication to absorb the poisonous chemical before too much harm is caused.

Why Does My Dog Eat Grass?

Why Does My Dog Eat Grass? - Scamps & Champs

Many pet owners tend to get confused when they see their beloved canine eating grass even though they feed them with a nutritious food full of everything they need to grow and be healthy.   Could it be that they’re hungry? Bored? Sick? 

Grass-eating seems to be common among dogs.  As veterinarians will tell you they discuss this issue all day with dog owners.   This behaviour is known as “pica,” and it is essentially a disorder characterized by eating things that aren’t food. Sometimes, pica is caused by a diet deficient in nutrients, vitamins or minerals, giving room for other possible reasons dogs on well-balanced diets engage in the foraging behaviour. 

Why is my dog eating grass?

While no one can be entirely sure why dogs eat grass, here are the common reasons experts give to answer the question, “why does my dog eat grass?”

 Grass tastes good 

The first possible reason why your dog eats grass is that they enjoy the flavour and texture of the grass. Some canines consider it a pleasurable behaviour and simply eat it for fun. This shouldn’t come as a surprise since dogs enjoy all sorts of things that disgust the human palate, including dirty socks, wood, and gristle from the bin. 

Another perspective to consider is that some dogs have the tendency to eat plants, and this is not strange. Some theories opine that dogs have been natural omnivores for thousands of decades (meat and plant-eaters) and as a result, domesticated dogs today instinctively include plant material in their diet. So there’s a good chance that in addition to grass, your puppy also enjoys raw-plant snacks such as sliced bananas, green beans and even apple slices from time to time. 

To induce vomiting 

Sometimes, dogs eat grass to induce vomiting. This reason raises another question: Does your dog eat grass to vomit and soothe an ailing stomach, or does he develop a stomach upset and vomit because he ate grass? In other words, does the grass make your dog feel unwell, or is it helping him to throw up as a form of relief? 

The answer to the question may vary for many dog owners, but studies show that only 25% of dogs vomit after eating grass, meaning the majority of grass-eating dogs aren’t sick beforehand, so chances of this pica behaviour making your dog feel unwell are slim. 

In fact, only 10% of dogs show signs of illnesses caused by a range of factors such as intestinal worms or gastrointestinal upsets. The grass helps induce vomiting to expel whatever might be bothering them, and you can tell this is the case if your dog eats and swallows grass quickly, barely chewing it. When your dog finally vomits, he may stop eating grass and return to his normal diet. 

To ease boredom 

Some dogs get anxious when their owners leave and use grass-eating to pass time until their return. Think of grass-eating as your dog’s comfort mechanism, just like nervous people chew their fingernails. The longer it takes for their owners to return, the more anxious they become and the grass-eating increases. Other times, it could be that your dog is trying to get your attention because he’s been alone for too long and wants some time with his favourite human. 

Is it safe for my dog to eat grass?

Grass-eating is a common occurrence in dogs, and it poses no real risk. But it’s critical to keep a careful eye on the sort of grass your pet eats. You need to be mindful of the chemicals used in the grass as they may irritate your dog’s stomach or cause health problems. 

Additionally, if you notice your dog is eating grass too often, it could be a sign of a health condition. In such instances, don’t hesitate to visit the vet. 

How do I stop my dog from eating grass?

The first step towards getting your dog to stop eating grass is to figure out why your pet eats grass. If your pet is bored, engage him in some fun activities or get him to chew toys to keep his mouth busy with other things other than grass. On the chance that it is caused by a nutritional deficiency, feeding him with a well-balanced diet could help alleviate the problem. If the pica behaviour persists, a visit to the vet for a full examination can help rule out any underlying problems. 


Grazing itself isn’t harmful, especially if you can keep your dog from eating anything that has been treated with pesticides or fertilizers. But if your pet’s pica behaviour makes you uncomfortable, try some of the tips above or discuss with your vet about ways to curb the habit.